Catholic Social Services had its roots in the 1920’s and 30’s in a wide range of welfare work.
In the 1950’s it became formally established as an agency mainly focused on people appearing in Court. Its focus varied over the next 30 years.
From the 1950’s till 1985 the Agency was housed in a variety of inner city locations. It moved into the old Home of Compassion premises in Kelmarna Avenue, Herne Bay in 1985.
In the mid to late 80’s there was a time of major reassesment and following a Diocesan Synod and various reviews of Catholic Social Services, the Agency was reorganised. Residential services were closed. The social work programme was reshaped, with a restructured respite care programme and a strong home based social work assistance programme. The counselling programme was extended to include family therapy.
In 1990 the Agency formed a partnership with the Sisters of Compassion to provide information to people involved in past adoptions through the Home of Compassion.
In 1991 the Agency formed a relationship with the Rununga of Te Unga Waka Marae, which led to the formation of Te Unga Waka Social Services.
In 2003, following the sale of the Kelmarna Avenue property, the Agency moved to temporary premises in Newton.
We relocated to Ponsonby in September 2006.
Catholic Social Services was renamed Catholic Family and Community Services in 1990. However, to relect its change of focus and show consistency with other Catholic Social Services nationwide, it was changed back to it’s original name. It is an agency which has been blessed with a team of people firmly committed to the wellbeing of others. We acknowledge all those who have had a connection with Catholic Social Services or Catholic Family and Community Services over the years.
We honour all the people and families who have sought assistance. We also honour all who support us or have supported us in a variety of ways. We particularly acknowledge the support families, other volunteers, the Management Board and Patrick Dunn, Bishop of Auckland.